Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Passed on


This piece of lace belonged to my great grandmother, Kate Sumner.   It came from a bag of nd trimmings that mum and her siblings were allowed to play with when they visited their grandmother's house.  


My mum taught me to sew when I was quite young.  I tried many times to work out a way of using this lace for a collar or an insert into a dress. It was difficult as the lace was not quite long enough or the wrong texture or colour or too precious in my mind.  


This year,  I bundled it up with a picture of Kate and sent it to her 19th great grandchild who is studying fashion.  I know that it is probably not Claire's favourite 'vintage' but she will have enough respect for what it is to give it a blessing as she tosses it into the rag bag.


I love well made objects that travel through time to reveal themselves again to someone new. 


I am appreciative. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great that you took the time to stop by my blog. Thank you.
If you have a blog or page you'd like to share with me, please post the details.